Job Opening - Director of Development
FEE’s mission is to inspire, educate and connect future leaders with the economic, ethical and legal principles of a free society.
For young minds interested in an introduction to free market economics and its foundations in the broader philosophy of individual liberty, FEE is the best source for inspiring content, programs and community. FEE is not an academic or political organization; instead our focus is making the economic, ethical and legal principles of a free society widely accessible, easily understood and energizing to young minds. We do this by delivering content that is substantive and thoughtful in ways that our customers find compelling, including in-person seminars and lectures, web-delivered content, printed material in book and magazine form, and networking opportunities.
The Foundation is currently searching for a Director of Development to be responsible for delivering ambitious short-term growth and sustainable long-term growth in FEE’s revenues. FEE has successfully achieved exciting growth in revenue, programs and staffing in recent years, and management is committed to sustaining that growth. The Director of Development will enact and implement the current year’s fundraising plan while developing a plan for next year.
The development director will oversee all cultivation of existing supporters and solicitation of new supporters, both individuals and foundations, involving senior staff where appropriate. In connection with this, the development director will oversee the operation, maintenance and enhancement of FEE’s revenue budgeting, tracking and reporting system.
Day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Manage development staff while engaging as part of the management team to further refine and implement FEE’s mission
- Secure phone calls and meetings with supporters
- Direct and implement online and direct-mail communications strategies
- Plan and attend donor-cultivation events in various cities
- Author foundation grant applications
- Author donor-targeted publications
- Develop and implement planned giving strategies
Applicants should have excellent writing, communication, and donor engagement skills. The Director will be based in Atlanta, where FEE is headquartered.
The development director is one of four director-level officers at FEE, and the only one who is focused on donors, also known at FEE as investors. The directors of programs, media content and marketing are focused on students, also known as customers. From a strategic perspective, the other three directors are focused on providing a compelling value proposition for our customers and growing our impact on the student community. At the same time, the development director will focus on assuring that our impact on students represents a compelling and demonstrable value proposition for investors.
The development director will initially manage one direct report, a development associate. Additionally, FEE has an independent development consultant on retainer for 16 hours per month as well as an event planner on contract and a direct-mail consultant. Interns can also be available.
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
- 5+ years of work experience
- Substantial experience in development
- Strong organizational skills with a keen attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to multitask
- Penchant for working in a fast-paced and growing environment
- An understanding of and commitment to the principles of economic freedom, limited government, and free enterprise
- Bachelor’s degree
The target start date for this role is the early fall of 2014.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF file:
- Cover letter detailing: a) your sincere interest in this position and the mission of the organization, and b) your salary requirements
Materials should be emailed to Claire Dixon, executive director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com. All materials should be sent in one PDF file.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.